Profile - Overview:
Education has been delivered on the site in Bolton since 1824 originally as Bolton Mechanics Institute. Over the last 186 years the institution went from strength to strength and after steadily improving its reputation Bolton Institute of Higher Education became the University of Bolton in 2005.
The University still prides itself on a very strong Engineering department with many courses including BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering achieving high rankings in numerous areas. The University now also offers a full range of courses within the fields of Business, Law, Computing, Science, Art, Design and of course Engineering.
The University of Bolton is a public resource for professional knowledge and learning, working with and on behalf of people and organisations to solve practical problems.
• We strongly believe that learning is fundamental to the transformation of individuals and society.
• We are unrelenting in our desire to stay abreast of commercial, social, cultural and economic change and incorporate its impact in our courses and in our work with partners.
• We celebrate excellence in others and willingly bring their good practice back into the university and into our partnerships.
• We are proud that all elements of society are fully represented among our staff, students and partner organisations.
• We embrace diversity and value difference.
• We show adaptability, rigor and flexibility in identifying and meeting the needs of individuals and organisations.
• We respect and value the traditional role and achievements of scholars and universities, while seeking to create a model of higher education which is focused on professionalism, innovation and application.
Location and Transport:
• Bolton has excellent motorway and rail links to major cities.
• Liverpool and Manchester are within half an hour. The Lake District, West Pennine Moors and Yorkshire Dales are within easy reach, and the bright lights of Blackpool are just an hour away.
• Manchester airport is close by.
• One of Britain's fastest growing universities
• There are 5 academic schools and 2 research centres
• Recently undergone a major redevelopment programme creating new and exciting facilities for our students, for study and recreation. In September 2008 their new multi-million pound Social Learning Zone and students' union facilities were opened right in the centre of our Deane campus.
Ranking: 112th in the UK in 2011
• New students who are not sponsored and are paying their own fees, may be entitled to a discount of up to £250. To qualify for the discount you must:
- Make payment of your £3,500 deposit within 2 weeks of the date on your offer letter = £100 discount*
- pay your tuition fees in full within 3 weeks of the enrolment date (as stated on your CAS Statement) = £150 discount*
- *Students in receipt of University of Bolton scholarships / bursaries or students studying English, Access or returning / continuing will not be eligible.
• Centre for English Language Students will be eligible for the following:
- Students commencing February 2011 will be eligible for a retrospective bursary of £1000 off their tuition fees, provided they successfully complete and pass their English language course.
- Students commencing April 2011 will be eligible for a retrospective bursary of £750 off their tuition fees, provided they successfully complete and pass their English language course.
Support to International Students:
The University of Bolton has been welcoming international students for a number of years and we have a large number currently studying with us from all around the world. We enjoy a well established and thriving community of international students which has helped to create a friendly and caring environment for which we are well known.
You may be thousands of miles away from home but you will be among friends who understand your concerns and want you to feel the special atmosphere that creates the Bolton experience.
There are many things to take into consideration when choosing a university and Bolton has many very important features that make it an excellent option for international students:
• Great Location
• Friendly Community
• Multiple Intakes
• Value for Money
• Student Support
• Career prospects