Profile - Overview:
The history of the Heriot Watt University dates back to 1821. There are approximately 11, 800 students studying a wide range of courses with over 150 countries around the world. Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made the university as one of the top UK universities for business and industry.
Location and Transport:
• The Edinburgh campus combines a beautiful parkland site with all the attractions offered by one of the world's great cities.
• Nearest Airport: Edinburgh (6 minutes from the airport)
• It is one of the UK's leading Universities, recognized internationally for excellent teaching and research in the specialist areas of Science, engineering, Business Management and Textile Design
• Heriot-Watt University is an early pioneer of equal opportunities: welcomed women as early as 1869, 20 years ahead of other institutions.
• University has research collaboration with 25 countries around the world.
• The University has the International Centre for Brewing & Distilling.
• The Ocean Systems Laboratory is a leading research centre in underwater Robotics, developing intelligent systems for the manufacturers of robotic vehicles which can reach areas that are dangerous or inaccessible for humans.
• One of the few universities that provide Actuarial studies.
• 34th in the UK in 2011
• The Chemical Engineering Department is the leading department in Scotland for research, with over two-thirds of output recently ranked as 'World leading' or 'internationally excellent" in 2008 Research Assessment Exercise
• Ranked 3rd in Scotland by Financial Times.
• Top in UK for Petroleum Engineering.
• Scottish Borders
• Ornkey Campus
• Dubai Campus
• University Scholarships: All Schools are offering overseas applicants the opportunity to apply for a partial reduction in tuition fees.
• Chevening Scholarships: British Chevening Scholarships, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and administered by the British Council, are prestigious awards, which enable overseas postgraduate students to study in the United Kingdom.
• Scotland International Scholarship Programme: Applicants from China, India, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand or Singapore only.
• Scholarships for up to 50 high-calibre overseas students on selected taught Masters programmes. Awards are made on a competitive basis.
• Saltire scholarships worth 2000 GBP.
Support to International Students:
• Has a long tradition of welcoming students from all over the world, and is the largest international student cohort in Scotland.
• Has Counselling and Support Service
• Disability Service
• The International Student Advisors' office provides support and advice on, immigration, welfare like opening a bank account etc.,
• Child Care
• Chaplaincy and Worship
• Muslim worship
• Equal Opportunities
• Careers Advisory Service