Profile - Overview:
The history of the University of Portsmouth dates back to 1870. It has attained university status in 1992. There are approximately 20,000 students studying a wide range of course and 3500 are international students.
Location and Transport:
• Superb faculties at a vibrant waterfront location in the City of Portsmouth.
• Lots of flat ground for cycling, cheap cabs, easy rail and road links to London; cross Channel ferry port.
• Lively student pub and club scene.
• Situated on the Southern coastline of England between Bournemouth and Brighton.
• Bus:2 hour from London
• Train: From London waterloo 1 hour 30 minutes
• Nearest Airport: Southampton (30 min by road from the airport) ;Heathrow and Gatwick 1 hour 30 minutes by road.
• Creative Technology department of Portsmouth is having a strategic partnership with AVID Academy (AAP) the world leader in digital content creation
• The institute of cosmology and gravitation at Portsmouth is a world famous research group doing international research in theoretical observation and mathematical aspects of cosmology and relatively astrophysics.
• Portsmouth is recognised as one of the leading deptof geography in the university
• The department of Mathematics, the Centre for European and International Studies Research in the faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and the School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences all received grade 5 for their outstanding research.
• A top modern University for student satisfaction.
• 90th in the UK in 2011
• Ranked 18th out of 130 in the UK for student satisfaction in the 2007 National Student Survey.
• Ranked 15th out of 84 for overall learning experience in the 2007 International Student Barometer (ISB).
• RAE 2008 rated an average 40% of research as internationally excellent or world-leading, and 78% as internationally recognised or above.
• Ranked as a top UK University for environment good practice in the People and Planet Green League Table.
• University Campus
• 10% of tuition fees as bursaries
• The GOAL Award
The University of Portsmouth is pleased to offer a bursary in the form of a 10% fee reduction to international students on full time undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Portsmouth (terms and conditions apply).
Support to International Students:
• Supports through the International and EU student Orientation programme, which include free airport pick-up service.
• Dedicated international student advisors can give advice on living and working in Porstmouth, Police registration.
• Advice on visa extension applications and working regulations.
• An extensive programme of social activities and coach trips to places of interest
• An e-newsletter "The Island" to exchange news and experiences with other international and EU students.
• Runs a mentoring scheme called Mix and Match. This scheme enables new and current students to get together and talk about life in the UK and at the University.
• The university has its own jobshop, which offers students assistance in securing part-time, casual and seasonal employment.
• The University has its own playing fields including an all weather pitch and range of indoor sports facilities.
• The university has Academic Skills Unit (ASK), Careers & Employment Service, Chaplaincy (religious support), Counselling Service, doctors' Surgery, student Finance and Student Housing, Purple Door Recruitment.
• Guaranteed accommodation in the University for the International Students.