Profile - Overview:
Founded in 1920, Swansea is a vibrant, research-led university at the forefront of academic and scientific discovery. Set in parkland overlooking Swansea Bay on the edge of the breathtaking Gower Peninsula, the University's location is captivating.
Swansea University has around 12,500 students and offers over 500 undergraduate and 130 postgraduate courses in a wide range of subject areas, from American Studies to Zoology, not to mention an extensive continuing education programme. A full range of social, cultural and sporting amenities complements the campus lifestyle and contributes to the strong sense of community that the University embraces.
Location and Transport:
• Situated in stunning parkland overlooking Swansea Bay on the edge of the Gower peninsula.
• Gower was the UK's first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, comprising 21 beaches for sport, leisure and natural research.
• Good road and rail links
• Founded by the Royal Charter in 1902.
• Site improvements and developments have consistently met students' changing needs.
• Cutting-edge facilities, including the Digital Technium and the £52-m Institute of Life Science, make Swansea one of the UK's premier research universities.
• The 29th university to be established in the British Isles.
• It is the third largest university in Wales in terms of number of students.
• The University is structured into the following schools: School of Arts and Humanities; School of Engineering; School of the Environment and Society; School of Business and Economics; School of Law; School of Human and Health Sciences; School of Physical Sciences; School of Medicine.
• 60th in the UK in 2011
• Ranked 357th among the world's top 400 institutions by QS World University Rankings™ (2009).
• Swansea offers a comprehensive range of scholarships and bursaries for international students.
• Swansea University Alumni: Postgraduate Bursary Scheme - The Postgraduate Bursary Scheme entitles Swansea University Alumni, including our most recent graduates, who wish to further their studies at Postgraduate level in Swansea, to a fixed fee reduction per annum on tuition fees for the full duration of studies. The scheme is open to all candidates applying for a Taught Master's or Research degree in any subject area.
Support to International Students:
• A global university, attracting world-class staff and over 2,000 international students from 120 different countries.
• Swansea University welcomes applications from International Students, and has a thriving international community on both its undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
• Swansea University was awarded the Best Student Experience in Britain by the Times Higher Education Supplement in 2005.
• Winner of the UK's Best Mosque Provision Award from the Federation of Islamic Students.